Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Postcard Challenge #8: Random Experience Generator

So you have to love a challenge called a "Random Experience Generator." Sounds like something Willie Wonka would have appreciated. The only constant was writing; the choices were all inviting. 

All of these postcards come from Everything is Connected, Copyright Keri Smith 2013,
in case you want to stage your own challenge or invite a friend.
I followed my instructions and grabbed my shiny penny.


Immediately the name Jack popped into my head. Besides my grandma's brother Jack, there wasn't anyone I specifically could picture with this name. Jack. Jackson. I had seen the name in a magazine earlier, and now the name clicked. The name of son of a dear friend from college who I haven't seen since before we were both married. 

Meet Anna (the redhead in the middle. For the record, Anna, I was tempted to post a picture of you doing that crazy cross-eyed look you could pull off, but refrained :))


My friend Kayleigh and I (far right) had just moved into our freshman dorm at Cornerstone. We walked down the hall to the next room to see if we could meet some of our hallmates. We immediately found a connection to the two friends from Wisconsin with the infectious laughter, Lisa and Anna. 



We shared a lot of laughs, tears, late night study sessions, and conversations stretched out on their heated floor (they were above the boiler room). These girls loved Jesus, were unpretentious and friends to anyone and everyone, could make you laugh so hard you'd snort and loved a good prank/iced skating rink/volleyball game (all the makings of great college friends). 

The end of our freshman year we took a trip to visit them in Wisconsin, getting sunburns canoeing down rivers, boating and eating, infectious laughter especially strong here with their close knit families. 



Anna left Cornerstone to go to school in Wisconsin and we shared phone calls, emails and cards as we remembered. A handful of years, two husbands and two babies later we'd sort of lost touch. This Christmas we received a beautiful Christmas card with her growing family and the same smile at the center. 

And so this challenge helped me purposefully reconnect with my red-headed friend who listens tenderly and lives enthusiastically and graciously. I can tell from the glimpses of her life now that she is still luminous, still present and vibrant, and still laughing. 


I wish were close enough to have a long chat over something hot and let our kiddos stretch out and laugh hard and sweet, but for now, a letter will have to do. 

So, check your mail box, Anna Banana. Some love is headed your way. It has been way too long, and I loved having a reason to reconnect. Even if I would have liked to try the "write a letter with no 'E's'!"

No comments:

Post a Comment