Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On Naming and Claiming...

At lunch on Sunday, Patrick and I played the Baby Name Game while waiting for our food to arrive. Sorting through the "yeses," "nos," and "maybes," I was reminded of the power of naming, a concept I'd wanted to explore in writing/speaking for a while now. Since according to my "summer-is-here-I-need-some-structure schedule" Tuesday is blogging day, I thought I'd try to work out some of my thoughts.

The first meeting of the school year, we were handed copies of an article by crime prevention and youth advocate Jack Calhoun called "Who is Naming and Claiming Our Kids?". It outlines how our most vulnerable children are those who are anonymous, those who have not been given an identify by anyone close to them.  He tells the story of a jailed girl who experienced her name being used in a positive light for the first time when she worked with special needs children. Another story, one that has stuck with me the entire year, was about a young murderer who said, "I'd rather be wanted for murder than not wanted at all." Calhoun goes on to say that if we don't name the children in our world, they will find those who will give them names/identities, often gangs.

Later in the year, I received one of my favorite Christmas presents ever, a slim volume of poetry by Lance Odegard called At the Pool We've All Got Bodies.  One of my favorite poems is called "Songbird." In this poem, he describes a homeless woman who visits their church, quiet and nervous and refusing to give anyone her name. "Who or what had/turned it against her, I wondered -- and what is a person/without a name?" Odegard decides to gift her with the name Songbird. The poem ends, "Shifting her feet, she said, You can call me by that name." 

Both of these have stayed with me this year and made me think, How am I naming those around me? How am I living out my responsibility of naming as one made in the image of God? 

For our God is the God who names. He names all things good. He changes Jacob's name. He reveals himself through the names he gives his people to use for Him. He calls Israel by name. He names Simon "The Rock."  At the end of all things, he'll give us a new name on the belly of a smooth white stone.

Humans have followed suit, image-bearers naming from the beginning of time. Adam named the animals, even Eve. The Israelites would name their children, their wells, their lands to reflect their interactions with God. Saul received a new name when he was filled by a new Spirit. To this day, some are given new names as they commit to life in faith-communities like convents and monasteries. Naming is POWERFUL for naming reflects and shapes reality.

How are we naming those around us? Are we naming our enemies Cursed instead of Somehow Beloved? Our children Failures instead of Full of Incredible Potential? Difficult coworkers as Obstacles instead of Opportunity? Our spouses as Frustrations or Sanctifying Gifts?

Am I naming my neighbors In Need of My Benevolent Help or as Able to Receive and Bless?

You see how we name determines how we act. If I see my neighbors as the first, I will feel superior, safe, and self-satisfied. If I see them as the second, I will have to be vulnerable, to listen, and to receive my rightful place as human just like them. I will act upon the identity I bestow. You will act on the identities you bestow! 

May you reflect on who and how you are naming these days. May you name with love, grace, and hope. We have great power; may we name well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment