Wednesday, September 26, 2012

New(er) Poetry

Hello, friends, I haven't been inspired today in any particular direction, so I thought I'd share some of my more recent poems. I'll have to think how/when to post earlier work. I continue to find great joy in writing this way...I recently read that poems take us out of time for a little bit, much like the few hushed, warm days after a baby is born. What a lovely picture!



What Is It?
These shallow breaths are not
milk and honey I'd hoped for,
praying strength to spread
cream cheese on toast
what I'd planned.
Yet these rapid heartbeats burn
wisps of incense
in a place I am finding
is holy.
The smoke from your cloud today
singes my throat but this
manna strange somehow still
fills me.
                     -Winter 2012



Metamorphi
This cocoon closes
bloody. I can't tell
what flows thick 
from these knuckles
banged senseless and
what seeps 
from your womb-walls,
hot-cradling me. 
                     -Spring 2012


I Have No Poems About Jesus

I realize this paging through my pittance of black pixels
strewn across white pages in hope
that some will take root.

I read of redemption, communion, the kingdom;
there is Moses, my father; no Rabbi in sight.
The New Jerusalem seems safer,
stained glass and sand sufficient.
No need to touch nail holes,
struggle to name the One
who offers flesh as food,
who tells me I must hate
the one who bore me
but who lets whores
kiss his feet before
he dies.

I have no place to lay His head.

I touch the hem of His garment for healing.
To get closer means His smell might
mingle with mine.
                                 -Summer 2012
  

No comments:

Post a Comment